Re: firmware-linux package non-free?

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:41:21AM +0200, Jürgen Kertz wrote:
[..]
> Thanks everybody for the quick reply.
> I'm still a bit confused about this matter:
> The hardware support (in my case 3D acceleration) is present in lenny,
> so the necessary "drivers" were in the kernel or in x.org, don't know
> where exactly. So for lenny they were considered as free.

No.  We have had General Resolutions that established that they are non-free
but that this bug could be deferred until after the release of lenny.

[...]
> The Radeon driver WIKI
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon
> tells me that the radeon drivers are licensed under MIT
>
> and
> http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses
> tells me that MIT license is considered DFSGL compatible.

This is true only if the source code is available.  The MIT licence
allows us to distribute source code but in this case we cannot actually
do that.

Horngren's Observation:
                   Among economists, the real world is often a special case.