Re: firmware-linux package non-free?

They are not licensed uner GPl so it cannot be placed under main section of debian repository.
Most of the radeon Drivers are available in Debian itself please check it.

2009/9/25 Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de>
Guten Morgen Jürgen,

> I was wondering if really all blobs in the firmware-linux package are
> non-free.
> Especially the Radeon drivers would be nice if they could be in main, so
> that they are present on the disks/images. Otherwise I would have to
> install the non-free package after upgrading to squeeze on my machines
> to get the same hardware support as in lenny.
AFAIK there is no source available for the radeon firmware blobs.  So
they are DFSG-non-free.

Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Uwe Kleine-König            |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |