Re: ABI handling for linux-2.6

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:18:56PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:37:38PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> An abi change in the kernel is exactly the same as an abi change in
> >> say mozilla. When the abi changes all modules/plugins have to be
> >> recompiled. Same thing.
> >
> > Sure, and i believe that in the same way that in the kernel case, the mozilla
> > handling of the subset of packages involved could be delegated to the mozilla
> > team.
> >
> > The problem is that we have a centralized situation where a few busy people
> > are in charge, and their not doing it in a timely fashion may block lot of
> > other uninvolved persons.
> >
> > The debian way of handling this kind of issues has always been to use a
> > distributed method, and no strong central control.
> >
> > If a team is responsible over a given set of packages, it should have the
> > final word on it, and not be treated like some group of idiot who have to be
> > controlled and cannot be thrusted.
>
> Rofl. Never heard any rumor about the debian cabal? All those I
> believe are caused by a strong central control by a few people over
> other peoples work. Like ftp-master has over the NEW queue.
>
> Debian has far too many of those (often one person) bottlenecks.

Indeed, but this is something that is detrimental to debian, and that at least
previous DPLs have tried to solve, without much success.

The future is in the creation of teams to handle such bottlenecks, and putting
the responsability on those teams for something as trivial as NEW processing
in case of new binary packages or abi bumping, goes in this direction.

But naturally, since we voted a stuborn cabal member as DPL, there is little
hope of any progress until next year in this aspect.