Re: ABI handling for linux-2.6

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:31:24PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> I think the situation with kernels in unstable is fine since an ABI
> change doesn't happen too often anyway.

If we didn't fixed two of them, we currently had -4.

>                                          What I'd like to see is that
> rc kernels are uploaded to experimental without the -rcX bit in the
> name, so the kernel can immediately enter unstable when the final
> version is out.

Not possible. Only some of the arches are autobuilt for experimental.

>                  I think this would get rid of the major problem, that
> is, that new upstream releases can take a while to enter unstable due
> to NEW.

This can be only done by a source package which builds any binary
package which needs to go in with the next bump at once as arch-all.
This will break at least two records:
- The number of binary packets per source. (We need to provide the
  binaries for the module packages too.)
- The number of packets per upload.

Bastian

--
The face of war has never changed.  Surely it is more logical to heal
than to kill.