Re: ABI handling for linux-2.6

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:31:24PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Frederik Schueler <fs@debian.org> [2006-06-07 22:39]:
> > 1. Alter the NEW handling for kernel (and out of tree modules) packages:
> >
> > - Add some kind of auto-hinting (if this is technically possible) to
> >   automatically process kernel packages and co.
> >
> > - Grant ftp-assistant rights to someone from the kernel team, who will
> >   process these packages only.
>
> We are certainly not in a position to demand such special handling, in
> particular when a ftp-master already said it won't happen.

Well, the ball is in their camp, is it not. Notice that they can no longer say
the issue is not important and just more svenl whining.

> > 2. Remove the ABI information from the package file names, possibly even
> > renaming the linux-image packages to linux-image-2.6-arch-flavor to
> > avoid NEW runs even on new minor releases.
>
> That's not ideal either.

Indeed.

> I think the situation with kernels in unstable is fine since an ABI
> change doesn't happen too often anyway.  What I'd like to see is that

The issue are ABI changes, but also introduction of new flavours.

Also, you have to consider the out-of-tree modules, which may swap ABI in
dispersed order, and cause lag in the testing migration.