ABI handling for linux-2.6

Hello,

After having discussed the current ABI and NEW handling problem with
Bastian Blank, we would like to seek a consensus among the kernel team
members concerning these issues.

To shortly draft the main issue: upstream changes ABI fairly often
(looking for example at the 2.6.16.x series, we had 3 ABI changes in
20 revisions, of which two where resolved without ABI bump in our
package), causing the linux-2.6 package to be delayed in NEW every
other upload.

Looking through the recent thread[1] on this topic, basically two
options come to mind:

1. Alter the NEW handling for kernel (and out of tree modules) packages:

- Add some kind of auto-hinting (if this is technically possible) to
  automatically process kernel packages and co.

- Grant ftp-assistant rights to someone from the kernel team, who will
  process these packages only.

2. Remove the ABI information from the package file names, possibly even
renaming the linux-image packages to linux-image-2.6-arch-flavor to
avoid NEW runs even on new minor releases.

To accomplish this, we need to take care of the following:

- Build the out of tree modules along with the linux-2.6 package.

- Remove the ABI from the packages files names.

- Have the out-of-tree modules Depends: linux-2.6.x-arch-flavor (== 2.6.x-x).

- Update module-assistant and kernel-package to build modules with
  the same strict dependency on the linux-image it was built for.

Drawbacks:

- We would not have a stable kernel ABI anymore, with all the
  consequences for custom built modules or third-party modules from
  other vendors (symbol version mismatches).

- The user would have only one kernel installed -  if that one
  breaks on upgrade, the user is left with an unusable system.
  A solution for this could be to not call the packages
  linux-image-2.6-arch-flavor but linux-image-2.6.x-arch-flavor, which
  in return will cause a NEW run every new upstream minor release.
  This still does not fix the problem of ABI changes breaking the users
  setup.

We would be glad if we could find a consensus on one of these options (or
another, please point it out here if you have one) within the end of
next week, so we can inform the release- and ftp-master teams on our
consensual decision.

Thus we would like to propose as ETA Sunday June 18.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2006/05/msg00479.html
--