Re: sarge3 kernel build & r3

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:33:54PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > That said, currently, backports are not an easy solution because of udev,
> > which cannot be taken as is without pulling in the whole gnome, so a bit of
> > work is needed.
> >
> > Friendly,
> >
> > Sven Luther
>
> What do you mean? You don't seriously mean udev depends on gnome?

The version of udev in unstable means it cannot be installed with the stable
gnome. I don't remember the details, but it involves gnome-volume-manager, the
hal thingy and another package.

> Does the stable gnome conflict with the backports udev? Is that realy
> a problem? It is inconvenient but if the depends are that way then it
> can't be helped. As long as it works that's fine by me.

I think there is some work needed on the sid udev to have it compile in a
sarge environment, it is possible, it may even have been done for
backport.org, but it doesn't build out of the box like the other packages.

And since udev is needed for initramfs-tools, which is needed by the kernels,

> Also do you think that is an usual situation? Will it arise again for
> etch? I would think this is only a short term problem till etch comes
> out.

udev is a mess, i can only hope that this will not come to happen in the
future (even Linus had very harsh words about the current situation), but i
can't promise anything. Already it is not possible in the current state to
have upgrade udev with the 2.6.8 kernel installed.