Re: sarge3 kernel build & r3

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 07:16:57PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 08 June 2006 13:33, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > - increasing differences between the Sarge 2.6.8 and current kernels;
> >
> > That is a reason for.
>
> Only if we _would_ include some backports repository that is known to have
> a current backported kernel and all other packages needed with that
> kernel, but without random backports of other packages. And we would need
> some guarantees about the maintenance of and procedures for changes in
> such a repository (compare volatile.d.n).

volatile.d.n is not a valid solution for this, since it doesn't allow for a
flexible enough upload of packages (like bumped build-dependencies for stuff
like kernel-package and other kernel related packages). The kernel team did
already have this discussion some time ago (last year ever) and the result was
to use kernel.debian.org as a repository for those. Check the debian-kernel
archive for details.

That said, currently, backports are not an easy solution because of udev,
which cannot be taken as is without pulling in the whole gnome, so a bit of
work is needed.