Re: 2.6.19, kernel-package problems and what are our plans for etch ...

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:47:56AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:31:22AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> > > Well, the real problem is that Manoj could be part of the kernel team, and to
> > > a point even is, since he has svn access to the repo.
> > >
> > > But there is a problem, in that Manoj's principal preocupacion is those user
> > > who build their own kernel, and the official kernel is only an after thought
> > > (not mentioning memories of when he was the debian kernel maintainer all those
> > > years ago and whatnot), while Bastian handles most of the official kernel
> > > infrastructure, and obviously doesn't care much about self-built ones.
> >
> > And Bastian is decidetly anti make-kpkg and wants to remove all
> > make-kpkg use from linux-2.6 as stated several times now. You can see
> > beginings of that in the xen kernels.
> >
> > Further one result of this dislike of kernel-package seems to be that
> > you can't build proper custom kernels on mips, mipsel, s390 and ppc
> > and no xen or vserver flavours anywhere. The debian patch is not
> > make-kpkg compatible and again Bastian spoke against fixing the patch
> > to work with kernel-package.
>
> I consider kernel-package one of the best things in Debian and it is a
> real pity that it is not being used to build the Debian kernel. Not

It is used by the debian kernel team. The problem is as said one of
communication and pride, with Bastian seeing it as a tool which breaks often
in obscure ways, and hindering his work on the infrastructure build, while
Manoj is still somewhat recentful of the kernel team, even though he won't
admit such publicly, i remember perfectly his "i was already packaging kernels
in the early 90s" and other such prideful issues last year. And jonas, who
used this as a reason to explain to me in RL during half an hour why he should
not even look at an RC bug.

BTW, jonas, i notice also :

And how you have been rather inactive on yaird over this past year.

> being able to use Debian's kernel build tool to build a Debian kernel
> is depressing.

This is just plain FUD.

Now, what is really needed, is that a few people like Jonas and Manoj, who are
working on tools vital to the kernel team developments, actually join the
kernel team, and so we can all work together in the same direction.