Re: 2.6.19, kernel-package problems and what are our plans for etch ...

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:40:16PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> >From personal experience I must say that bugs reported against
>> kernel-package get manojs attention fast and get fixed fast.
>>
>> Bugs against the linux-2.6 source get ignored or you get comments like
>> "breaks cross building" and any request of the error or a build log
>> gets ignored.

>> I think the blame is much more on the kernel team than manoj. He
>> doesn't have a crystal ball to see linux-2.6 problems relevant to
>> kernel-package. The team has to report them first. Only then can you
>> have a discussion about the problems and find solutions.
>
> Well, the real problem is that Manoj could be part of the kernel team, and to
> a point even is, since he has svn access to the repo.
>
> But there is a problem, in that Manoj's principal preocupacion is those user
> who build their own kernel, and the official kernel is only an after thought
> (not mentioning memories of when he was the debian kernel maintainer all those
> years ago and whatnot), while Bastian handles most of the official kernel
> infrastructure, and obviously doesn't care much about self-built ones.

And Bastian is decidetly anti make-kpkg and wants to remove all
make-kpkg use from linux-2.6 as stated several times now. You can see
beginings of that in the xen kernels.

Further one result of this dislike of kernel-package seems to be that
you can't build proper custom kernels on mips, mipsel, s390 and ppc
and no xen or vserver flavours anywhere. The debian patch is not
make-kpkg compatible and again Bastian spoke against fixing the patch
to work with kernel-package.

> So, basically, the problem is of two infrastructure people, both proud and
> head-strong, and both pulling the stuff in their own separate direction. I
> don't think pointing the fingers about responsability will help in any way
> here, but more cooperacion on both sides would be helpful.
>
> Let's all have a kernel-team meeting somewhere post-etch, and try to work
> together or something ?

One can dream.

> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther