Re: 2.6.19, kernel-package problems and what are our plans for etch ...

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:36:30 +0100, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 08:26:10PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>> - What is stopping 2.6.18 to enter testing ? The PTS says "Should
>>   ignore,
>> but forced by vorlon", so does this mean it will enter testing
>> today ?  What about the remaining (or new) RC bugs ? Some of them
>> being open against 2.6.17, so also present in testing.

> We need another upload of linux-2.6 and linux-modules-extra-2.6 to
> fix the following issues: linux-2.6:
> - Some small security fixes.
> - Fix for internal posix types support for s390.
> - Conflict with too old initramfs generators, the fallback entry
>   matches them also.
> - Don't longer disable serial drivers in xen images.
> linux-modules-extra-2.6:
> - Disable squashfs on arm, does not work.

>> - latest info from Bastian was that the 2.6.19-rc6 experimental
>>   packages in
>> experimental failed to build because of some kernel-package problem
>> which caused silent bugs. Bastian, do you have any additional info
>> to provide which may give a light to the problem ? Manoj, can you
>> have a look at this, and maybe help us fix the issue ?

> I'm not longer interrested in communicating errors in software,
> which is not able to catch errors but reports silent success
> instead. This is the fourth bug with this result in the last 6
> months or so.

        And none of which you report. If you can't put together a
 coherent bug report, you can't expect issues to get resolved.
 Frankly, k-p works fine when used as expected -- linux-2.6 tries to
 mould it in a fashion which is not exactly supported, by overriding
 bits and pieces, and I am not surprised when things do not work as
 you try to force them to.

        Even then, I would respond to bug reports which show
 misbehavior by kernel-package -- which have not exactly been
 forthcoming, have they?

        manoj
 tired of people trying to bend k-p into doing things it is not
 supposed to do, and then complaining when they fail
--
You are the only person to ever get this message.