Re: 2.6.19, kernel-package problems and what are our plans for etch ...

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:40:16PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >From personal experience I must say that bugs reported against
> kernel-package get manojs attention fast and get fixed fast.
>
> Bugs against the linux-2.6 source get ignored or you get comments like
> "breaks cross building" and any request of the error or a build log
> gets ignored.

> I think the blame is much more on the kernel team than manoj. He
> doesn't have a crystal ball to see linux-2.6 problems relevant to
> kernel-package. The team has to report them first. Only then can you
> have a discussion about the problems and find solutions.

Well, the real problem is that Manoj could be part of the kernel team, and to
a point even is, since he has svn access to the repo.

But there is a problem, in that Manoj's principal preocupacion is those user
who build their own kernel, and the official kernel is only an after thought
(not mentioning memories of when he was the debian kernel maintainer all those
years ago and whatnot), while Bastian handles most of the official kernel
infrastructure, and obviously doesn't care much about self-built ones.

So, basically, the problem is of two infrastructure people, both proud and
head-strong, and both pulling the stuff in their own separate direction. I
don't think pointing the fingers about responsability will help in any way
here, but more cooperacion on both sides would be helpful.

Let's all have a kernel-team meeting somewhere post-etch, and try to work
together or something ?