Re: language of choice for k-p packaging ...

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:46:07AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:57:22 +0100
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:56:40PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> > > ...but still this requires manual override in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
> >
> > No, when building the kernel packages with INITRD_CMD=..., then this
> > will become the default, and can be overriden by kernel-img.conf.
> > This is instead of hardcoding the values in k-p.
>
> Yes, it _does_ require manual override in kernel-img.conf to actually
> _use_ a future ramdisk tool satisfied by the virtual dependency. And it
> seems you even agree with me (what do you mean by "No"?).

Well, there are three cases : the current one where the *DEFAULT* is hardcoded
in k-p, the one i propose, where you can hardcode that in linux-2.6, and chose
to do it per arch/subarch/flavour even, and your proposal, which is more
far-ranging.

My proposal should be a couple of lines of patch, nothing more, and would work
out of the box with k-p 10.00x, while yours, altough nicer, needs more work
and cooperation.

The idea is to use it to remove initramfs-tools from the default list on
alpha, while not needing to conflict against initramfs-tools as it is done
now, you see, ways less ambitious than your proposal :)