Re: language of choice for k-p packaging ...

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 01:57:00PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:58:10PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, not wanting to relaunch the discussion at this, but i think Python rates
> > really high on the most-uncomprehensible langugage contest,
>
> This is incorrect. python rates lower than much other languages.

well, as much as i have seen, i understood better Manoj's perl, or Andres's
ruby than your python, but i guess than proves nothing.

> >                                                             or at least as a
> > language allowing or encouraging to write incomprehensible code :)
>
> Each language allows that.

Well, some languages are more suited to writing unreadable code than other,
and some encourage different coding style which makes the problem worse or
better.

> > least in the gencontrol.py incarnation of it. :)
>
> That is my coding style. And yes, I should fix that. You don't want to
> read my perl code, which rates totaly unreadable.

:)

Anyway, while you are at it, can you please either implement the ramdisk=
field in defines, and the INITRD_CMD envvar for the make-kpkg call, or if you
don't agree about this (i think i remember you saying it was the wrong
solution, but maybe you refered to part 1) only of the bug report), please
comment on what you feel is the right way of doing it ?

I mean we need to find a way to override the k-p's default for ramdisk on a
per arch/subarch/flavour basis, and a ramdisk= line in the defines seems to be
most obvious place for this.