Re: kernel-package and the build symlink ... I don't think we can continue to use k-p under current conditions.

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:44:12 +0100
Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Well, i had now two consecutive days of lengthy chats with Manoj
> about this issue, and i hate to say it, but i don't think Manoj is
> ready to compromise on this and he failed to give any argument apart
> from this is the way he decided it in 96 and it has always been done
> so. A few short quotes to prove that point :
>
>   09:25 < Manoj> the whole "You do are not following the official
> way, so fuck off, you looser bit is not something I can support

If you do not include your non-annoying comment leading to the above it
is quite irrelevant for showing anything, I believe.

>   09:30 < Manoj> theofficial kernel teams botched this issue, and
> diverged, I am keeping the kernel-package behaviour the same as it
> has been since 1996
>
> These two show perfectly the real problem here, and there has been
> not a single technical argument in favour of his solution, and he
> just throwed away our own arguments.
>
> I think it is a shame, but well, i refuse to lose more time fighting
> over this. What do other people of the kernel-team think about the
> issue ?

Well, I believe that the real problem is that you disagree about this
(from the proposed new module plan):

> Each modules should build packages using the
> default KSRC recomended by upstream and which every module out there
> use.

Manoj seem to not want to change what has worked for a long time: Using
what with the new kernel package names is

I understand the point of wanting to support /lib/modules/... as a
valid reference for source location, but I do not know if that location
is universally agreed upon. And it seems to me that Manoj is not
breaking things, but refusing to _change_ (and possibly improve)
something that is not broken.

 - Jonas

- --