Re: kernel-package and the build symlink ... I don't think we can continue to use k-p under current conditions.

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:56:32AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:44:12 +0100
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Well, i had now two consecutive days of lengthy chats with Manoj
> > about this issue, and i hate to say it, but i don't think Manoj is
> > ready to compromise on this and he failed to give any argument apart
> > from this is the way he decided it in 96 and it has always been done
> > so. A few short quotes to prove that point :
> >
> >   09:25 < Manoj> the whole "You do are not following the official
> > way, so fuck off, you looser bit is not something I can support
>
> If you do not include your non-annoying comment leading to the above it
> is quite irrelevant for showing anything, I believe.

No, this clearly shows Manoj's attitude with regard to the official kernels,
and it is not the first time he has said this, and i believe that until he
loses that attitude, it is not fruitful to work with him on this, and we
should do our own thing, as various other people have been wanting to do since
a long time.

> >   09:30 < Manoj> theofficial kernel teams botched this issue, and
> > diverged, I am keeping the kernel-package behaviour the same as it
> > has been since 1996
> >
> > These two show perfectly the real problem here, and there has been
> > not a single technical argument in favour of his solution, and he
> > just throwed away our own arguments.
> >
> > I think it is a shame, but well, i refuse to lose more time fighting
> > over this. What do other people of the kernel-team think about the
> > issue ?
>
> Well, I believe that the real problem is that you disagree about this
> (from the proposed new module plan):
>
> > Each modules should build packages using the
> > default KSRC recomended by upstream and which every module out there
> > use.
>
> Manoj seem to not want to change what has worked for a long time: Using
> what with the new kernel package names is

Indeed, the upstream modules will all default to use the build symlink, and
Manoj wants all third-party module maintainer to change the KSRC as well as
all users to do so as well.

> I understand the point of wanting to support /lib/modules/... as a
> valid reference for source location, but I do not know if that location
> is universally agreed upon. And it seems to me that Manoj is not

Sure, it is the official upstream way, and all third party modules default to
it.

> breaking things, but refusing to _change_ (and possibly improve)
> something that is not broken.

Nope, he plans to break what we currently have working in the official
kernels, and has been working and agreed upon since over 6 month, and which we
have started advertizing as the canonical way of building third party modules
since a few month now.

In any case, if he disliked it, 6 month ago was the time to provide feedback,
provided there where real arguments to back it off, which i have failed to
see, did you see any ?