Re: kernel-package for t-p-u

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:31:12PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 04:15 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > I'm confused about what this thread is all about.  The subject seems to
> > > suggest that we're wanting to push something into testing, but I get the
> > > feeling the intent is to propose 2.6.12 be included in a point release.
> > >
> > > I like the idea of getting linux-2.6 into volatile, with all necessary
> > > build-deps, but I'd be surprised if the stable release manager was
> > > willing to consider upgrading the kernel in a point release.  If that is
> > > indeed the goal, has anyone talked to Joey about it?
> >
> > The point is to either :
> >
> >   1) upload a patched kernel-package to s-p-u, in order build linux-2.6 out of
> >   sarge+s-p-u, and thus allow for a linux-2.6 upload to volatile with the
> >   current rules.
> >
> >   2) bend the volatile rules, and allow building linux-2.6 with a
> >   kernel-package also uploaded to volatile.
> >
> >   3) forget about volatile, and us the backport.org infrastructure instead.
> >
> >   4) upload dilinger's packages to volatile, and disable powerpc support in
> >   those, and provide powerpc kernels from another source. We will not be able
> >   to provide powerpc64 packages anyway in any of the above solutions.
>
> What about:
> 5) Upload kernel-package backport and linux-2.6 backport to volatile
>
> Is this somehow not permitted by volatile policy?

The crux of the volatile problem is.

a) volatile packages must build on an umodified Sarge

b) linux-2.6 requires an updated kernel-package, and
   Sven advises that without this powerpc kernels can't be built.
   There is also another problem, which affects all architectures,
   but Dilinger has a solution to that issue that doesn't require
   updating kernel-package

--
Horms