Re: kernel-package for t-p-u

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 01:49:49PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 21:21 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:32:17AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >         So we are taking the version in Sarge, and just making a
> > >  couple of changes to it an uploading? Whynot just take the very
> > >  latest version of kernel-package and put that in t-p-u?
> >
> > Because we are aiming volatile, which should build with sarge alone, so we are
> > planing on uploading to s-p-u and not t-p-u, and have it go into a point
> > release.
>
> I'm confused about what this thread is all about.  The subject seems to
> suggest that we're wanting to push something into testing, but I get the
> feeling the intent is to propose 2.6.12 be included in a point release.
>
> I like the idea of getting linux-2.6 into volatile, with all necessary
> build-deps, but I'd be surprised if the stable release manager was
> willing to consider upgrading the kernel in a point release.  If that is
> indeed the goal, has anyone talked to Joey about it?

The point is to either :

  1) upload a patched kernel-package to s-p-u, in order build linux-2.6 out of
  sarge+s-p-u, and thus allow for a linux-2.6 upload to volatile with the
  current rules.

  2) bend the volatile rules, and allow building linux-2.6 with a
  kernel-package also uploaded to volatile.

  3) forget about volatile, and us the backport.org infrastructure instead.

  4) upload dilinger's packages to volatile, and disable powerpc support in
  those, and provide powerpc kernels from another source. We will not be able
  to provide powerpc64 packages anyway in any of the above solutions.

Friendly,

Sven Luther