Re: CRITICAL: Don't remove kernels 2.4.x, anybody upgraded hsflinmodem to 2.6.x?

>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 svante@imit.kth.se wrote:
>>> As you all know the hsflinmodem packages are non-free and crippled to
>>> 14.4 kbps. Has anybody ported the hsflinmodem-5.03.27 (the latest free
>>> versions) to work for kernels 2.6.x?? In case not, the removal of
>>> kernels 2.4.x is a very BAD idea.... I'm using 2.4.x only for the modem
>>> support when on dial-up connections. The computer is a laptop so the HW
>>> is not easily changed. Please...
>>> Svante
>> Hi,
>> According to
>> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/index.php
>> the HSF/HCF modem drivers should work fine both with 2.4 and 2.6.
> Yes, they work with both kernel series, but the speed is limited to 14.4
> kbps, see
> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php
> Running the modem at 14.4 kbps is a real pain, in practice not usable.
> The latest version without the speed limitation is hsflinmodem-5.03.27 and
> these drivers don't work with kernels 2.6.x!!
>> Best regards,
>> Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org
> Svante

After Googling for some hours I have found that many other Linux
distributions do supply the hsflinmodem-5.03.27 kernel modules to their
customers but obviously not Debian. Any reason for this?

However, these modules do only work with kernels 2.4.x :-( Is it
impossible to port the drivers from 5.03.27 to kernels 2.6.x? Have anybody

Nevertheless, it seems I will have to find another solution, either an
PCMCIA modem or an USB modem. Anybody have an opinion on the best choice,
e.g. wrt. Linux support etc?