Re: Kernel Security Updates for Sarge

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 07:29:51PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 11:08:29AM +0900, Horms wrote:

> > > I don't know of any reason why they would break d-i; and I also don't think
> > > that putting off all ABI-breaking security fixes until etch is a very good
> > > answer anyway.
>
> > Joey Hess is the expert here. But I think one problem is that
> > many of the d-i kernel packages do not have a kernel-tree-x.y.z-n
> > dependancy. And thus updating kernel-source means those d-i
> > packages can no longer be reproduced. This could get quite messy
> > if their is an ABI change... I think... Joey?
>
> That's why we're talking about updating kernels *on security.debian.org* and
> not pushing any of these changes into testing (or into stable until it's
> time for a point release and everything is in sync).

Ok, understood.

I have made my proposed packages for testing-security
and testing-proposed-updates available as follows.
I'd like to make the latter available in unstable as well.
Neither contain the ABI change in question. I can add
that to the testing-proposed-updates/unstable version,
but I'd prefer to release what we have for now (into unstable that
is) and add the ABI change in the next round if we decide we
are ready to bite that bullet.

In each case I have made image packages for i386 and powerpc, and
kernel-source packages for both 2.4.27 and 2.6.8. Signed,
sealed, but not taged in SVN yet.

testing-security:
http://debian.vergenet.net/sarge-security/

testing-proposed-updates/unstable: