Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:40:44PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Sven Luther]
> > the problem is not the reject, is the no news in weeks and no
> > communication channel open. But again, i think and hope that this
> > will become better now.
>
> I agree.  Complete silence and no feedback is a real problem when it
> happen, and only worse if it is an official debian role failing to
> communicate.  But I believe things are improving a lot when it comes
> to the ftpmaster role, and have great hopes that Jeroen is part of the
> solution. :)

No, he is not, as far as i am concerned, unless he presents his apologies
first.

> > Well, sending email to a discussion forum like debian-devel, and
> > sending email to a debian-role like ftp-master is not comparable,
> > and i think it shows a profund lack of responsability on your part
> > even suggesting this.
>
> I believe Joroen tried to express that mistakes do happen, and that
> the ftpmasters can delete email by mistake when their mailbox is
> filling up.

No, that is not acceptable, and probably not the right reason for this. Until
evidence proves otherwise, it is just because they don't care to read those
emails, and that that email address is simply forwarded to /dev/null.

> Perhaps this could be solved with some kind of ticket system handling
> email to the official roles in debian?  I'm not sure if BTS is the
> best option to handle emails to ftpmaster, leader and others.  Perhaps
> request-tracker is a better option?  We use it at work, and it seem to
> do request handling quite well (at least when we added the email
> administration interface. :).

That would be a solution. But then are the ftp-masters ready to get the
problems they receive publicly visible ?

> What surprises me is the energy and hostality Matthew Wilcox
> demonstrates by attacking you in later private emails.  A good thing
> he isn't part of the ftpmaster team (as far as I can see).  The
> ftpmasters seem to have a professional attitude towards the role they
> have in the project.  I wish we could expect that from all the
> participants in the project.

No, a professional attitude would have them reply to the people they are
working with.

> (But you are right, Sven.  No-one should have to accept abuse for the
> work one does as a volunteer in the Debian project.  That applies for
> both you, the ftpmasters, the release managers, all the debian
> developers and the users.  Those unable to behave sivilised against
> their fellow volunteers should be ashamed of themselves.)

but this have become the norm these past couple month, and Steve's 'proposal'
was the last straw.

Hurt,