NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels (Was: Re: NEW handling ...)

[ Please followup to the right list depending on the contents of your
reply. Be aware I'm not subscribed to -kernel, so Cc me if needed ]

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:14:37AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> [huge rant about NEW and hurting kernel stuff etc etc]

Three remarks:

> Rejecting those would lead in a pissed kernel maintainer team i would say.

Please be aware that NEW processing is human work. There's quite a big
backlog (currently still over 300 while I feel a lot got done already),
and I at least try to err on the side of caution. This means, and yes,
it already happenen, that it will occasionally happen we will reject an
upload by mistake. If this happens to you, just reply to the mail (as
its footer says, if you don't understand the reject, reply) and it will
looked into. Of course, if we decide it was a mistake and your package
should be accepted, we'll process it out-of-order (The mistake I
rectified yesterday was in NEW for 70 seconds, surely a record). Taking
it as offence and acting accordingly could have negative effects on
swift reprocessing.

> I think i would have warranted at least a reply on this case, don't
> you think ?

Maybe, if one would reply to all mails you send out, one wouldn't have
time for ANY other Debian work. For example, you contributed 75 mails[1]
within 24 hours to the Vancouver thread, consisting (excluding quoted
text) of about 7522 words in 43kB of hand-written text[2]. I'm sorry,
but you think it's weird people can't resist accidentally hitting the 'd'
key when seeing an incoming mail from you?

Anyway, regarding kernels: I can imagine sometimes, especially with the
backlog we have currently, a swift processing of some kernel package
might be warranted and help Sarge. If there is such a case, it would
help if someone other than yourself from the kernel team contact the
right email address[3] about it, I had a hard time distilling from your
mails if and which packages would genuinly benefit sarge if they were
processed swiftly, of course together with a short and factual
explanation. You can also try to make a release-team-person ask, but
they are also busy people, so why bother them?

Thanks,
--Jeroen

[1] http://lists.debian.org/~jeroen/sven-vancouver-24h.mbox
[2] wget -qO- http://lists.debian.org/~jeroen/sven-vancouver-24h.body \