Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels (Was: Re: NEW handling ...)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:11:06PM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> [ Please followup to the right list depending on the contents of your
> reply. Be aware I'm not subscribed to -kernel, so Cc me if needed ]
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:14:37AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > [huge rant about NEW and hurting kernel stuff etc etc]
>
> Three remarks:
>
> > Rejecting those would lead in a pissed kernel maintainer team i would say.
>
> Please be aware that NEW processing is human work. There's quite a big

which is my main grip with the subpart of it which could be automated. For
example, kernel-source-2.6.11 was just uploaded today, which means a plethora
of uploads all needing NEW processing. Can you give me any reason why this
really needs NEW processing, and why you don't thrust the kernel-team on this ?

> backlog (currently still over 300 while I feel a lot got done already),
> and I at least try to err on the side of caution. This means, and yes,
> it already happenen, that it will occasionally happen we will reject an

the problem is not the reject, is the no news in weeks and no communication
channel open. But again, i think and hope that this will become better now.

> upload by mistake. If this happens to you, just reply to the mail (as
> its footer says, if you don't understand the reject, reply) and it will
> looked into. Of course, if we decide it was a mistake and your package
> should be accepted, we'll process it out-of-order (The mistake I
> rectified yesterday was in NEW for 70 seconds, surely a record). Taking
> it as offence and acting accordingly could have negative effects on
> swift reprocessing.

There was no real swift processing in the past. Also, i believe that if
packages are being considered and have some problems, it would be best to
include the maintainer having made the upload into this process as early as
possible.

> > I think i would have warranted at least a reply on this case, don't
> > you think ?
>
> Maybe, if one would reply to all mails you send out, one wouldn't have
> time for ANY other Debian work. For example, you contributed 75 mails[1]
> within 24 hours to the Vancouver thread, consisting (excluding quoted
> text) of about 7522 words in 43kB of hand-written text[2]. I'm sorry,
> but you think it's weird people can't resist accidentally hitting the 'd'
> key when seeing an incoming mail from you?

Well, sending email to a discussion forum like debian-devel, and sending email
to a debian-role like ftp-master is not comparable, and i think it shows a
profund lack of responsability on your part even suggesting this. How would
you feel about a developer ignoring bug report from a certain person just
because he has posted a big amount of emails to debian-devel ? And a
falling-in-his-duties DD has at least the QA team and the MIA check to watch
over him, while the ftp-masters can have any uncontrolled whim and we have no
choice but to abide by them.

Furthermore i see a serious failing in your logic, in the fact that the emails
you quote are posterior to the failure of reply from the ftp-master's office,
and can thus not be used to excuse it.

> Anyway, regarding kernels: I can imagine sometimes, especially with the
> backlog we have currently, a swift processing of some kernel package
> might be warranted and help Sarge. If there is such a case, it would
> help if someone other than yourself from the kernel team contact the
> right email address[3] about it, I had a hard time distilling from your

Why not me ? I would very much like a reason for that, am i in some way
blacklisted ? and if so for what reason ? And is this reason an acceptable
one, i seriously doubt so. I am part of the kernel team, and i did work on my
other packages which are more or less in good state, as well as actively
participated in the debian-installer work. Why should you not threat a
question on my part as from any other developer ? And if you do not, would it
not be understandable that i feel irritated by this inacceptable behavior that
has a blocking effect on my own participation to debian.

> mails if and which packages would genuinly benefit sarge if they were
> processed swiftly, of course together with a short and factual
> explanation. You can also try to make a release-team-person ask, but
> they are also busy people, so why bother them?

Whatever. I believe that your response to email send to ftp-master's role in
debian should not be influenced by any personal negative opinion you may have
on me, even if it may be warranted. We all work together to make the debian
release as great and swift as possible, and this kind of blacklisting of some
of our developers is inacceptable, and a severe failure in the ftp-master's
role responsability against the project.