Re: Console corrupted during boot in 2.6.8, will it be included in Sarge?

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 11:48, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> * Svante Signell wrote:
> > I have a problem with the 2.6.x, x>4 kernels when booting my Dell
> > Inspiron 4100 laptop. When the console output during boot switches
> > from 24 lines on the screen to a much higher number of lines, the
> > font colors appears to be set to black on black background or the
> > console is corrupted.
The change of console mode is triggered by a screen blanking: The
output after this starts with fsck something (for a normal boot). The
messages are not able to see from the screen ouput since it scrolls away,
and not all screen outputs are logged in the logfiles.

> Which graphic chip is used in your Dell?
lspci -v:
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M6 LY
(prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00e4
        Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, stepping, 66MHz, medium
devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
        Memory at fcff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

> > Since the release of Sarge is imminent, it would be bad if this
> > happens to other people with Dell laptops.
>
> The default kernel for sarge is 2.4, 2.6 will be shipped too.
>  OK
> > For now I can cope by using 2.4.x series kernels (2.4.27 is default
> > I beleive) but sooner or later I will change to a 2.6-series kernel
> > too. Advantages would be e.g. to have alsa and lm-sensors kernel
> > modules included, without having to download them (2.4.26) or build
> > them (2.4.27).
>
> There are precompiled modules for i2c and lm-sensors for 2.4 kernels.
OK good to hear. Any alsa modules for 2.4.27?