Console corrupted during boot in 2.6.8, will it be included in Sarge?

Hi,

I have a problem with the 2.6.x, x>4 kernels when booting my Dell
Inspiron 4100 laptop. When the console output during boot switches from
24 lines on the screen to a much higher number of lines, the font colors
appears to be set to black on black background or the console is
corrupted. I don't know exactly where during the boot process the
console resolution switch is made, or which init script triggers this,
but at least for 2.4-series kernels the console is not corrupted.

In any case I have no visible output, the screen is black!! However, the
kernel boots OK, and if I blindly log in and start X, or log in
remotely, all is OK. The console remains black still though.

Since the release of Sarge is imminent, it would be bad if this happens
to other people with Dell laptops. For now I can cope by using 2.4.x
series kernels (2.4.27 is default I beleive) but sooner or later I will
change to a 2.6-series kernel too. Advantages would be e.g. to have alsa
and lm-sensors kernel modules included, without having to download them
(2.4.26) or build them (2.4.27).

PS: Please Cc: me since I'm not on the list.

Debian is best,
Svante