Re: [PROPOSAL] Re: Which 2.4 kernel-source for sarge?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 10:53:08AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:52:03PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > There will be a new d-i release before long anyway, which is also why we need
> > to take this decision, and make both debian-release and debian-boot
> > participate in it.
> >
> > > This argument goes away once 2.4.27 kernels are made available on these
> > > architectures (m68k, arm, sparc: I'm looking at you).  powerpc has neither
> > > 2.4.26 nor 2.4.27.
> >
> > Powerpc has 2.4.26 (which was hostage in NEW for almost 2-3 weeks though), but
> > will onlty enter testing in 4 days or so.
>
> Ah - my script was looking for kernel-patch-<ver>-powerpc which only turns
> up 2.4.25 - I see this has changed to kernel-patch-powerpc-<ver>.
> I should've noticed it had no 2.6 kernels listed for powerpc.
> I've updated my status page:
>   http://people.debian.org/~dannf/kernel-stats/kernel-avail.html

Indeed. It seems Jens prefers the kernel-patch-powerpc-<ver>, and i think it
makes sense.

> > Can you explain these missing build-deps issues ?
>
> Sure:
>   http://people.debian.org/~dannf/kernel-stats/kern-dep.html
> Each '*' represents a build dependency on either the kernel-source,
> kernel-tree, or kernel-debian-patch package from that version of kernel-source.

At least for fai, they would need to rebuild anyway, because we are going with
2.6.8. but this is nothing a rebuild cannot fix.

> > >  - d-i status - what kernel is being used in d-i svn?  what kernel is in
> > >    the current rc?
> > >    (Hard to determine)
> >
> > No, the d-i status can be looked at the kernel-wedge database used to build
> > it.
>
> I can easily check for the version of the kernel used in a given
> linux-kernel-di, but that doesn't tell me what version is used as the
> boot kernel, since l-k-di may have been updated.

I think the full build logs are available, so you could chack there.

> It seems that the value of KERNELVERSION in installer/build/config/*/*.cfg
> is what I want - but some of them are set to macros (sparc), so a grep won't
> suffice.  A make rule in build/Makefile that just echos KERNELVERSION may
> suffice though.

Yes, indeed.