Re: [PROPOSAL] Re: Which 2.4 kernel-source for sarge?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 12:49:08AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 12:01:32AM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > ARM's 2.4.26 kernel in the archive apparently doesn't work while
> > 2.4.27 in NEW has been tested to work.
> >
> > Another argument for 2.4.27 is that some arches have kernels that can
> > be taken as it for sarge (e.g. mips, arm); on the other hand, if we go
> > with 2.4.26, we'd have to update all of them again by building them
> > against a new 2.4.26 source package with the security fixes.
>
> Another argument for 2.4.26 is that going to a releaseable 2.4.26 image
> is just a rebuild of the existing 2.4.26 package, while some archs with 2.4.26
> images don't already have 2.4.27 packages (m68, arm, sparc)[1].  Going with
> 2.4.27 would mean generating these new packages & going through the NEW queue
> delay (which, to be fair, has been awfully quick for kernel stuff lately).
> Once that has completed, we need new l-k-di packages (also a NEW delay) &
> updates to svn, followed by a new d-i release.

There will be a new d-i release before long anyway, which is also why we need
to take this decision, and make both debian-release and debian-boot
participate in it.

> This argument goes away once 2.4.27 kernels are made available on these
> architectures (m68k, arm, sparc: I'm looking at you).  powerpc has neither
> 2.4.26 nor 2.4.27.

Powerpc has 2.4.26 (which was hostage in NEW for almost 2-3 weeks though), but
will onlty enter testing in 4 days or so. I could have 2.4.27 packages quickly
also, i just need to have one hunk cleaned up.

> fai-kernels, mindi-kernel, and user-mode-linux will be missing build-deps
> in sarge if we go to 2.4.27.  Staying with 2.4.26 means we only need to
> update packages that would need to be updated anyway (i2c, lm-sensors, uclibc,
> and xen). [2]

Can you explain these missing build-deps issues ?

> I wrote scripts to generate some data so that we can monitor some these issues:
>
> Kernel images available for each arch in stable/sid:
>   [1] http://people.debian.org/~dannf/kernel-stats/kernel-avail.html
> Build-Dependencies on kernel source packages in sarge:
>   [2] http://people.debian.org/~dannf/kernel-stats/kern-dep.html
>
> Other things that would be useful to know:
>  - Which version of the kernel source package was used to build this image?
>    (Some packages build-dep on kernel-tree, but for others this info
>     is difficult to detect)
>  - d-i status - what kernel is being used in d-i svn?  what kernel is in
>    the current rc?
>    (Hard to determine)

No, the d-i status can be looked at the kernel-wedge database used to build
it.