Re: preparations for 2.6.7-3

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:39:40AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Jens, will you upload powerpc 2.6.7-3 too ? -2 will not be buildable
> > because of the asfs patch move i believe ?
>
> That's okay, the asfs patch moved in 2.6.7-2 already.

Ah, ok.

> > I need to hear some info about possibly creating a new powerpc-small
> > config for 2.6 oldworld miboot based d-i in the near future.
>
> Bad idea.

Thanks all the same. Could you please elaborate a bit more, and explain
why this is a bad idea ? Out of hand i only see lazyness on your part to
do the job, but this can be remedied by someone else doing the config
stuff and such, one added config and thus what, 15 minutes of additional
build on your G5, and naturally another run of NEW queue waiting. But
apart from that, what is the real problem ?

> > please propose an alternate solution with a reasonable timeframe.
>
> 2.4 base miboot floppies are working nicely.  until there is a proper

Did you test them ? Or did you just do bootx testing ? Care to write a
installation report for debian-installer if you dit ? Last i heard, it
has been month ince we had a successfull oldworld floppy installation
report.

> solution for the issues with 2.6, just stick with those.

And these issues are ?

And BTW, modularizing the fbdev device is _NOT_ a good idea, and it is
not only me telling you that, i believe many other share this
impression, at least that is what goes out from informally asking other
debian/ppc and upstream/ppc players.

And you still don't understand that getting oldworld 2.6 testing in
debian installer is not something that will happen overnight, so we
can't wait weeks for an eventual 2.6 kernel small enough to fit on
miboot floppies. Ideally, this should be ready for next week, since we
are now working on thight schedule for the debian-installer and sarge
release.