Re: Marvell Discovery II Ethernet driver

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:52:35PM -0500, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 11:34, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > I am a bit sick of this tyranic rule on the powerpc package you are
> > taking, not really caring about non pmac packages, and arbitrarily
> > taking functionality away without consulting. And please step a bit down
> > from this 'i am always right' attitude you are taking.
>
> It's not tyranic, he actually tends to be right ;) I see no hurry in
> puttin that driver in, especially since the cleaner one is _already_

Well, removing it without warning is not ok, and then there is the issue
of mkvmlinuz, and i question the wisdom of having a kernel-image package
installing a kernel which is not usable on most subarches out there.

> available. If it has problems on pegasos, then you'd rather spend your
> time fixing it.

Well, i don't know if it has problems or not, but what is the problem
with having this patch in for now, while the other one is tested and
adapted if need be ? Also, the cleaner one as you say, is not yet
modularizable, doesn't build out of the box, since there seem to be a
missing Kconfig depends in it, but true i only had a quick look
yesterday evening so this may be trivial.

So, what is the harm in having the driver which we know work in for a
week or two, until the other gets tested and the changes ported to it if
needed ? Assuredly there is none, and the pegasos users have been
clamoring for this since month now, so i see a benefit to it.

Sure, i can always make a homemade external release or something, but
this make things less maintenable, and complicated with regard to
debian-installer and other debian components. Also, why removing the
patch from the subversion repo, instead of moving it out of the way or
disabling it somehow ?

And BTW, it would be really nice if you (or someone) had a look at
modularizing the pmac ide stuff, we need to gain a 200-300 Ko size in
the kernel in order for it to fit on a miboot floppy.