Re: Marvell Discovery II Ethernet driver

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:27:08PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christoph Hellwig writes:
>
> > On the junkjard.
>
> Done.

Hey, please, i protest. Why you remove the patch like that without even
consulting me about this ? It is a patch which is well tested on the
pegasos, and is even _NEEDED_ there. It will probably be soon replaced
by a version based on the -mm tree below, but this should not be a
reason to pull it like that. Without discussion and argumentation, just
because the patch is big.

I am a bit sick of this tyranic rule on the powerpc package you are
taking, not really caring about non pmac packages, and arbitrarily
taking functionality away without consulting. And please step a bit down
from this 'i am always right' attitude you are taking.

> > Andrew Morton's -mm tree has a much better driver for the same
> > hardware (and it's about a third the size)
>
> This should definitely go into kernel-source then.  First because it's
> already in -mm, second because it's a chance of getting out a new
> Debian revision fixing kernel-tree.

Once it has been tested and works, please but the old patch in in the
meantime, you don't even know if the above patch works well, nor has it
been tested on the hardware. What is the problem with having the
submited patch in the unstable kernel for a few debian revisions while
the -mm gets testing, and the enhancement we did forward ported to it if
needed ?

But again, this is not going to work out if you take this heavy handed
attitude about it.