Re: RC bugs in Linux

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:32:59PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > Unless I'm missing something, the release manager doesn't have the authority
> > to override the Social Contract (1.1) that was ratified by GR in April.
>
> You might have missed GR 2004-003, and the discussions therein.

GR 2004-003 (which I supported) implies that the discussion on wether
firmware is software is no longer relevant, so please keep that aside.

> There
> are proposals to override the SC for the release of sarge.

Please answer this: Since you agree with proposals for future versions of the
Social Contract and disagree with the current one, do you find it justified
to violate the Social Contract untill a version of your liking is committed?

> Also, it is
> not even decided if the previous sarge release policy is a violation
> of the social contract (or if the SC does not even ask for it because
> we want to release rather soon now),

It's not about Sarge release policy, it's about violation of DFSG (and, in
some cases, copyright law [1]) in our unstable archive.

[1] IANAL.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)