Re: NFSroot & Power4

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:45:25AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Probably not, which is why we maybe need to have a discussion about
> > mkinitrd, which i believe is very unrobust, and will probably fail on
> > most non-mainstream arches.
>
> I don't think we need to discuss mkinitrd, but rather fix and extend
> it.  FYI, it was totally broken on PowerMacs until I sent the
> necessary patches to Herbert and now works nicely.

Well, which probably is the reason why it will not work on non pmac ppc
boxes.

Seriously though, i have a feeling that it will break for each new arch
or subarch that is going to use it, and that maybe another solution
would be better. Since the current generated ramdisk on my bo is 4Mo or
thereabout, i doubt it is a space problem anyway.

I think, but without having checked, that having a smaller discover
database, limited to the modules in the initrd, and the discover program
we are using anyway later on, in the initrd would be the more error
proof solution, and it will also help with the fact that we will need to
do the checking in only one place and not two (mkinitrd and discover)
like today.