Re: Debian non-x86 kernel arches

> > I'd like to propose we attempt to build x86, amd64, ppc, and ia64
> > kernels from the same source tree.
>
> Your proposal has first- and second-class archs in it as well.  And it
> means that several machines would be required in order to build all
> binary packages from that one source package, even if just a small
> arch-specific change was made.  I won't even speak of a sufficiently
> large testbed, which for PowerPC alone involves half a dozen different
> machines at the moment.

Testing is probably the biggest issue. How is this currently handled?
How do you verify a new package is okay? Is there any way to automate
this.. or at least make it semi-automated? Obviously if if something
fails, a machine probably needs to be reset. But if everything is
working (which should be the normal case), what would prevent an
automated system to boot the latest kernel and run some set of tests
after bootup?

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer@hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz