Re: Debian non-x86 kernel arches

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 12:17:01AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Troy Benjegerdes writes:
>
> > Testing is probably the biggest issue.  How is this currently
> > handled?  How do you verify a new package is okay?
>
> In my job as a University sysadmin, I have physical access to about a
> dozen different Apple PowerPC machines.  Apart from my personal work
> machine, they run Mac OS X most of the time, but all of them have at
> least a small Debian installation.  I make sure I run thorough tests
> on three or four machines before I release a package, and add the
> others as time permits and problems arise.  To my knowledge, Sven does
> the same on his boxen.

I would like to make an attempt automateing the testing process, once
you have the machine booted into the new kernel. Can you elaborate on
what tests you run, and how you determine pass/fail?

Also, have you looked at the Linux Test project?
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/

> > Is there any way to automate this.. or at least make it
> > semi-automated?
>
> I don't think so.  Short of attaching serial consoles and remote power
> switches to a couple of RS/6000 boxen, that is.
>
> Regards, Jens.

As an admin for Ames Laboratory, I have about 5 different flavors of IBM
pSeries machines (275mhz power3's to 1.7ghz power4's), all with serial
consoles.

I also have several flavors of x86 machines, a couple of opterons, and 1
older ia64 machine laying around I can dedicate to testing debian
kernels if we can come up with some semi-automated way of testing them.