Re: [wli@holomorphy.com: Re: NMU: kernel]

viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
[snip]
> > I regard the linux-mips.org CVS as MIPS upstream, and I don't want to
> > handle patch conflicts with architectures I know nothing about.
>
> Apparently your regard does not extend to looking what's really in there.
> Care to check the diff between linux-mips repository and upstream?

I did. Most of it are mips-specific drivers so far.

[snip]
> Please, have at least some respect to mips guys

I surely have. :-)

> - they know what they are
> doing and talk about "patch conflicts with architectures you know nothing
> about" is a BS.  Their stuff is well-behaving and localized enough to avoid
> that.

I specifically meant patch conflicts between non-mainline architectures.
Those happen (-ed for 2.4) increasingly after the main tree went into
maintenance mode, caused by shrinking acceptance for patches with
(potential) side effects. For the current Debian scheme with separate
arch-specific patches, this is simply a problem avoided.

Thiemo