Re: KDEPIM 17.08: The whole thing works

Hey Sandro,

Sandro Knauß - 17.11.17, 13:42:
> > Okay, so I installed Akonadi + KDEPIM 17.08 and the whole things works.
[…]
> 3. akonadictl start
>
>  But I had issues with the database upgrade. Because it needs to create a
> temporary table, that was too big for my tmp filesystem
> The error is:
> Got error 64 'Temp file write failure' from InnoDB

Oh.

I think as the largest table here, the part table is about 3,2 GiB, this still
fitted into:

martin@merkaba:~> LANG=C df -hT /tmp
Filesystem     Type   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs          tmpfs  4.7G  356K  4.7G   1% /tmp

> I solved this with setting the tempdir in ~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
> [mysqld]
> tmpdir = /usefullpath

Maybe it would be good to implement to safeguard this in upstream code base
somehow. I.e. check free space beforehand and notify the user if there is not
enough.

I think using /tmp may be less than optimal on machines with little RAM. Sure
if the machine has lots of RAM, like this ThinkPad T520 with 16 GiB of it, it
is beneficial. But a machine with just 4 GiB may only have 1 GiB of /tmp in
most desktop distributions that use tmpfs for /tmp.

Maybe it would be better to use /var/tmp, however as that is on / filesystem
for many setups… well…

IMHO thats another disadvantage of using MySQL/MariaDB by default. Much
temporary space needed for… things like this.

> At least for me the switching folder is much faster (because now the
> threading is cached and not recreated every time).

Wow, yes!

I did not notice that yet. This is really noticeable.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Other than that tuning MariaDB database did the trick, so mail filtering
appears similary fast than before.

I noticed something else:

The expandable progress bar stuff in the bottom of the kmail window is gone.
Well often it was not too useful anyway.

Thanks,
--
Martin