Re: improving the UX with the default KDE installation

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 11:19:22 PM PDT Nick wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 00:11:40 -0700
> Shawn Sörbom <shawn@sorbom.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a bit late to this discussion, but FWIW:
>
> [snip]
>
> > for a good "out of the box" experience, many people expect a mail
> > client. Look at Kubuntu. Personally kmail would be of the first
> > packages I would install on any KDE system that I would set up for an
> > "average" user. A default email solution is something any distro
> > should have. For a KDE specific solution, I don't think there is much
> > else out there ....
>
> [snip]
>
> I agree that typical users are going to expect some kind of email
> client to be bundled with a base install.
>
> I've liked Kmail all its life (since KDE 2.2.x) but I'm still (happily)
> using Wheezy (now LTS), and must say I'm dreading upgrading to current
> stable and getting the flaky Kmail experience that seems to be what
> so many people find.  JFTR, one alternative to Kmail might be
> 'Trojita' [1] - I haven't (yet) tried it, and it's not a KDE program,
> but it _is_ part of the KDE family, professionally developed, looks
> nice, well-liked and is pure-Qt so it fits well into a KDE
> environment.  The only "downside" is that it's IMAP-only.
>
> [1] http://trojita.flaska.net/
>
> Cheers
> Nick

Anyone wanting to try this can get Debian Packages via the Open Suse Build
service here:
http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home:jkt-gentoo:trojita&package=trojita

For those running stretch, you will need to install this dependancy manually:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libs/libmimetic0

Subjectively, it feels fast, which I like.

However, I noticed that it does not appear to have threading support, which I
use a lot for mailing lists. Lack of POP3 support is also an issue for anybody
who prefers reading local copies of their mail.  The addressbook feature is
somewhat lacking. There doesn't seem to be any ability to import contacts.
This will cause a major bump for anyone reliant on .vcf contacts.

But it is a nice lightweight alternative if you don't mind those limitations.
--Shawn