Re: Lost mail, etc.

Am Montag, 30. Januar 2017, 07:33:29 CET schrieb Rainer Dorsch:
> I assume you use an POP3 Mailserver. Consider moving to an IMAP based setup
> to avoid these kind of issues in future.

And then rely that the IMAP provider keeps your data safe and no one hacks
into the IMAP account to retrieve, delete or even modify mails?

I am also still using POP mostly and only has a two week IMAP copy of my main
mail account for smartphone access.

> I have a lot of data in
>
> ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
>
> If this directory is pretty much empty, then your mail is probably gone. If
> that directory is still huge, there seems to be some data left, not sure
> how you recover the content though (it seems to be one file per mail, you
> could open it with less or an other pager or editor).

Sorry, thats dangerous half-knowledge.

While it could be that something is in there, that Akonadi didn´t save
elsewhere (yet), Akonadi is still mostly a cache. The real mail data is
elsewhere.

Where, depends on the configuration of Akonadi and has been discussed here and
on kdepim-users before for several times.

For KDE SC 4 looking at akonadi resource configuration files in ~/.kde/share/
config should give a good hint. Like this:

martin@merkaba:~/.kde/share/config> cat akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc
[General]
Path[$e]=$HOME/.local/share/local-mail
TopLevelIsContainer=true

The resource can also be named mixedmaildir resource.

I spare myself the time to repeat all the other gory details on where Akonadi
stores data, it has been here and on kdepim-users more than once.

The original poster wrote that he fooled around with KMail/Akonadi,
reinstalled it and so on. What might have happened there, but that is just
guesswork, as he didn´t say what exactly he did, that during reinstallation
the maildir resource config was replaced and now it points to a different
location. The default location has been changed from ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
something to ~/.local/share/local-mail but old setups where never
automatically migrated.

So, Ed, please research the topic on this of other list and read and
understand

Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
https://blogs.kde.org/2011/11/13/akonadi-misconception-1-where-my-data

Then if you still have trouble finding your data, please come back with a *lot
more* details about your setup and *specific* questions. Means: If I do not see
that you put considerable effort into really understanding, diagnosing and
looking at the issue, I may spare myself the time to write another mail like
that.

(And yes, I do think that Akonadi is not easily user-serviceable in case of
issues due to its complexity and also under documented. Yet just fooling
around with it, without knowing a thing about it, is almost never ever a good
idea. I went through it several times out of anger at it having been messed
up, and always found later that it would have been better to calmly approach
the situation. And I did know at least something about it back then.
Fortunately meanwhile in Debian Sid its more robust.)

Ciao,
--
Martin