Lost mail, etc.

I somehow lost the use of kmail - couldn't send, couldn't download and
lost my custom folders.  I fooled around, reinstalled kmail, etc.  Now, I can
send and download, but no folders and no saved mail.  From a backup, I
restored ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox, where the folders and mail
were.  However, kmail still has no mail and no folders other than the
default ones.  It's kmail 4.14.1.  Any advice, pointers, etc. appreciated.