Re: Plasma 5.7.2 in Debian?

Diederik de Haas ha scritto:
> On zaterdag 27 augustus 2016 22:49:00 CEST Luigi Toscano wrote:
>> Nothing breaks for me, because I have all 5.6.x packages on hold. The fact
>> that 3 or 4 different users on IRC (including a DD) had their plasma-desktop
>> packages removed means that there is a conflict $somewhere.
>
> I was one of them and the problem was because I used plasma-discover (for the
> first time) on my laptop to update packages instead of aptitude what I normally
> do. While it did update several packages, it removed several others like
> plasma-desktop, plasma-workspace, sddm and a bunch of other critical packages
> for KDE *without* informing me about it and thus completely broke my KDE
> system.
> The DD in question didn't pay proper intention and missed that the upgrade on
> his system would remove sddm and others.
> On my desktop PC, I have several packages that don't get upgraded with
> 'aptitude safe-upgrade' precisely because it would brake things.
> If I'd do 'aptitude full-upgrade' it would indeed remove a bunch of packages,
> including plasma-desktop and thus I don't do that.
>
>>> I do think however it would be good to have all of plasma at same major
>>> version at least. So I love to see these in the newer version as well.
>>
>> It's not a matter of good or bad, it's the same as Frameworks: maybe with
>> some exceptions of "leaf" packages (like the icons for Frameworks), but the
>> core packages should be available in the same version.
>
> And that's precisely what's now being enforced and thus 'aptitude safe-
> upgrade' won't upgrade to these latest packages until all relevant packages
> are at the same versions.

It's probably not this case, but in general safe-upgrade is not enough. In
some cases you need to remove a package to proceed and safe-upgrade (if I read
its documentation correctly (*)) does not do that. So the status is fine when
it's full-upgrade-proof (aka apt dist-upgrade).

(*) (Interesting enough I just discovered I don't have aptitude installed on
the my systems; never used it since it was trying to remove most of my KDE
programs few years ago).

--
Luigi