Re: Plasma 5.7.2 in Debian?

On zaterdag 27 augustus 2016 22:49:00 CEST Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Nothing breaks for me, because I have all 5.6.x packages on hold. The fact
> that 3 or 4 different users on IRC (including a DD) had their plasma-desktop
> packages removed means that there is a conflict $somewhere.

I was one of them and the problem was because I used plasma-discover (for the
first time) on my laptop to update packages instead of aptitude what I normally
do. While it did update several packages, it removed several others like
plasma-desktop, plasma-workspace, sddm and a bunch of other critical packages
for KDE *without* informing me about it and thus completely broke my KDE
system.
The DD in question didn't pay proper intention and missed that the upgrade on
his system would remove sddm and others.
On my desktop PC, I have several packages that don't get upgraded with
'aptitude safe-upgrade' precisely because it would brake things.
If I'd do 'aptitude full-upgrade' it would indeed remove a bunch of packages,
including plasma-desktop and thus I don't do that.

> > I do think however it would be good to have all of plasma at same major
> > version at least. So I love to see these in the newer version as well.
>
> It's not a matter of good or bad, it's the same as Frameworks: maybe with
> some exceptions of "leaf" packages (like the icons for Frameworks), but the
> core packages should be available in the same version.

And that's precisely what's now being enforced and thus 'aptitude safe-
upgrade' won't upgrade to these latest packages until all relevant packages
are at the same versions.