Re: Newer KDEPIM for Jessie

On Wednesday 13 May 2015 09:07:19 you wrote:
> Hi Lisandro,
>
> Am Dienstag 12 Mai 2015, 17:26:33 schrieb Lisandro Damián Nicanor
>
> Pérez Meyer:
> > Don't mix external packages. That's all.
>
> Well, that's good advice. However, the Debian team in all its
> wisdom (no sarcasm!) decided to stuff the latest known-working
> version of KMail (it is one of the last releases of the 1.x
> series) into Wheezy. This provided for a working KDEPIM in
> Wheezy, especially in the Kolab groupware environment, which I'm
> running.
>
> I fully understand a stunt like this was not feasible for Jessie,
> which I'm running on a few non-critical machines. But the sad
> part is that for the production machines, I am pinned to Wheezy.
> KDEPIM as packaged in Jessie is a vast improvement over the
> sadness in 4.6/4.7, but there are still some bugs in
> 4.14.1/4.14.2 which do prevent a production-class deployment of
> it. (No kidding: the Kolab people do package their own enterprise
> version of KDE, and they *do* ship KDEPIM 3.5.10 with it...).

We know this and we had only two solutions: ship what was there (which we
took) or not shipping KDEPIM at all.

> I might try to build 4.14.7 packages for Jessie myself. I've been
> following the discussion for a while, and my understanding is
> that supplying 4.14.7 packages with jessie-backports would block
> the backports on KDE4, while someone might want to get KDE5 into
> it, which would then be impossible.

Right.

> Honestly, I was hoping for life to be easier, but then, nobody
> promised. ;-)

Right :)

> PS.:	Since you replied off-list, I did the same. =)

My fault, I should stop using my phone to reply to mailing lists.

Replying to the ML this time :)

--
Moore's Law: The speed of processors will double every 18 months.
Gate's Law: The speed of software will halve every 18 months.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/