Re: [OT] KDM No Longer In KDE ?!?

On Tuesday 18 February 2014 09:41:49 yaro@marupa.net wrote:

> I personally don't see why that feature is very important. Maybe some people
> really like it, but I see that as one of the cruft features of X11 that has
> badly needed to be taken out. Definitely not worth the development
> man-hours to maintain to please a small minority where remote desktop is
> more efficient on the network.
>
> But really, X11's network capabilities have become woefully network heavy
> and extremely slow even with compression thanks to the billions of
> protocols X11 "requires" to be a modern window system.

Does Wayland provide for something like Xvfb or Xnest? These are really
important for running automated testcases. Typically you have a buildserver
like jenkins with lots of virtual displays, performing GUI tests and other GUI
operations.

This is an area where Windows sucks very badly, because it simply doesn't have
something like that.

And now imagine something goes wrong in one build job, e.g. you have a
deadlock in your testcase, because a modal dialog pops up or whatever. If you
can't reproduce the problem locally, you log into the buildserver and run the
same build, but redirect the output to your own local display. Or you create a
"screenshot" of the virtual display with xwd, so that you can have a peek into
what's happening in there.

I hope that Wayland has a solution for this.

Cheers
Carsten