Re: [OT] KDM No Longer In KDE ?!?

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 04:24:46 AM Nick Boyce wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:20:24 -0600 yaro@marupa.net wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Wayland is coming. Martin Graesslin (who occasionally reads here) is
> > > running stuff there.
> > >
> > > My phone is running wayland.
> > >
> > > So it is coming soon.
>
> [...]
>
> > I welcome the change. X11 needs to be retired.
>
> On the grounds of efficiency, short code paths, clean & simple
> APIs, ability to properly exploit the hardware, etc. etc. I'd have to
> agree - but won't X's ability to carry display traffic from one machine
> to another be sorely missed by some people ?  I seem to recall reading
> something about shims for that, but I wonder quite how well it would
> work (more reading to do).
>
> Nick

As I mentioned before. Wayland itself doesn't support it, but it's been stated
by the Wayland team a number of times one could create a network transparent
compositor or even some other sort of client that sits between render requests
to the Wayland library from the compositor.

I don't think it should be on Wayland to provide network transparency.

I personally don't see why that feature is very important. Maybe some people
really like it, but I see that as one of the cruft features of X11 that has
badly needed to be taken out. Definitely not worth the development man-hours to
maintain to please a small minority where remote desktop is more efficient on
the network.

But really, X11's network capabilities have become woefully network heavy and
extremely slow even with compression thanks to the billions of protocols X11
"requires" to be a modern window system.

I don't know if XWayland provides any of the network features of X11, like
XDCMP or X Forwarding.

Conrad