Re: [OT] KDM No Longer In KDE ?!?

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:41:49 -0600 yaro@marupa.net wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 04:24:46 AM Nick Boyce wrote:

> > > I welcome the change. X11 needs to be retired.
[...]
> > but won't X's ability to carry display traffic from one
> > machine to another be sorely missed by some people ?
[...]
> I personally don't see why that feature is very important. Maybe some
> people really like it, but I see that as one of the cruft features of
> X11 that has badly needed to be taken out.

Well .. I've always thought it's a cool feature, to be able to run a
program on one machine that displays its window(s) on a different
machine - but I admit that over many years, in many different projects,
working for a variety of employers, I've never once had the use case for
that feature :)

> Definitely not worth the development man-hours to maintain to please
> a small minority where remote desktop is more efficient on the
> network.

I guess you're right there.

Cheers
Nick