Re: [OT] KDM No Longer In KDE ?!?

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:20:24 -0600 yaro@marupa.net wrote:

> On Monday, February 17, 2014 09:38:47 PM Sune Vuorela wrote:
> > On 2014-02-17, Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Thanks, I guess that explains it ... well mostly ... I had
> > > thought that Wayland was just an optional alternative to X for
> > > the major desktops for a long time to come, but that article
> > > seems to state that it'll be Wayland or nothing, sometime
> > > "soon".
[...]
> > Wayland is coming. Martin Graesslin (who occasionally reads here) is
> > running stuff there.
> >
> > My phone is running wayland.
> >
> > So it is coming soon.
[...]
> I welcome the change. X11 needs to be retired.

On the grounds of efficiency, short code paths, clean & simple
APIs, ability to properly exploit the hardware, etc. etc. I'd have to
agree - but won't X's ability to carry display traffic from one machine
to another be sorely missed by some people ?  I seem to recall reading
something about shims for that, but I wonder quite how well it would
work (more reading to do).

Nick
--
Never FDISK after midnight