Re: KDE SC 4.10

On 18/04/13 02:46, Markus Raab wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Julian wrote:
>> Having a stable and tested operating system and its core packages is
>> important and packages end up in stable that have gone through the
>> rigmarole.
>
> I fully agree!
>
>> Rolling releases of individual packages are everywhere (downloadable
>> .deb packages or little source repos), most of the time (all the time?)
>> these are not critical core OS libraries or applications.
>
> I would not forget backports as "rolling release" for stable. I am looking
> forward to wheezy lifetime if backports are more used when they are directly
> in main archive.
>
> best regards
> Markus

There's no wheezy backports until its release, or thats the process afaik.

Something more KDE focused. I do understand that fragmenting releases
can create problems on its own. But I can't see a problem if packages
are strictly allocated officially by debian.

"-t wheezy-kde" works for me, but I can't see why a structure such as
"/debian-rolling-release-kde wheezy main" wouldn't work either.

People desperate for 4.10 are installing experimental, which is crazy,
experimental is the crucible of package pain and will always be that
way, but it is unnecessary for alot of applications out there, including
KDE.

I'd rather test application bugs than package dependency bugs in
experimental. Thats mental.

For example:
At the highest level, the packaging process for the xorg packages should
remain. Every level higher than that? Not important enough and KDE is
just not important, don't let the size of it confuse you, its really not
important.

It would be nice to see debian sleek again and an end to the
insanity of every package that exists on the planet must endure the
release cycle rigmarole even if obsolete by the time it comes out of
freeze and is burned to 100's of blurays...no one wants 4.8 anymore.

Regards.
Jules.