Re: KDE SC 4.10

On 07/04/13 06:54, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> Sune said:
>> the 'normal' experimental is where the action happens, but it happens
>> currently dripwise and not as a big chunk, as it makes stuff easier for
>> the developers. It includes prepearation for the modern kdepim.
>
> Is that the reason that if I want to do a full-upgrade, the 'solution' to the
> conflicts is to remove the kdepim apps? And will that be resolved once the modern
> kdepim (thanks!) is uploaded as well?
>
> Btw I still get the upgrade issue I mentioned earlier, so I've now put kde-
> runtime(-data) on hold. Is that because not all packages are uploaded and/or I
> don't want to remove kontact or is there something broken on my system?
> If so, hints pointing in the right direction is much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>   Diederik

Theres really no point to installing experimental packages to begin
with, let alone unstable.
But I guess people are desperate for 4.10 and I do sympathize. Just
thought I'd mention that.

These are after all:
"...a series of monthly stabilization updates to the 4.10 series".

Its really obvious that debian in its present state can't work with
that. However KDE fell way behind even when there was no freeze going on.

A "rolling release" repo dedicated to packages available for debian
stable and/or testing is what some people do behind the scenes impatient
on waiting for an "official" distro package.

I have this for a few packages, heres an example of a public one:

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ wheezy-pgdg main

This is official enough for me.

Theres a bigger issue here that I wont bother with ATM. But this is a
solution I support for non core lower level OS *longer shelf life*
critical libraries and applications that are better candidates for the
rigmarole of debian release cycle (perhaps a *hint* to the bigger issue).

Regards,
Jules.