External hard disk mounted as root only

Hello all,

I'm having a mounting problem with an external USB disk I just bought.
I googled this up a lot, but couldn't really find a solution.

I use the Device Notifier plasmoid to mount my removable devices.
However, when I connect the external USB drive, it gets mounted as
owned by the root user, which means I can't write to the drive. If I
mount an external jump drive, it shows up as owned by the current user
(not root) so that I can write to it just fine. So, my question is:
why does it work with a jump drive, but not with an external USB
drive? I know it may be possible to add an entry to /etc/fstab in
order to fix it, but the jump drive works fine without anything in
/etc/fstab. Does anyone know what may be going on, and how to fix
this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Adriano

PS: I'm running KDE 4.8.4 on Debian Testing.