Re: KDE 4.10

On 04/01/13 13:26, Diane Trout wrote:
Hi Diane,
Custom 4.10 KDE deb packages is also on my TODO list.
As far as an equivalent to ubuntu's PPA -  one can host a repo of
unofficial builds and interested people can add it to their apt
sources.
What is your packaging code based off? (wheezy, kubuntu?)
It would be an idea to get the code for either and host it on
github perhaps (target wheezy) then people can start tweeking
for 4.10.
Just an idea.
Jules.
Hi,

My debian packaging has mostly been building packages for personal
use, so my knowledge of how to handle the copyright and changelog file
isn't very good.

I copied my current 4.10 working directory onto a server at work.
http://woldlab.caltech.edu/~diane/kde4.10/

ppa is a copy of my reprepro tree that I'm using to feed dependencies
into my pbuilder instance.

workingdir is the source directories and source packages. For packages
that have a git-vcs tag I checked it out, for the couple that aren't
already in debian.

I've been focusing on trying to compile enough so that I could log in
and see if it works, so I've only been trying to compile packages I use.

I was currently working on trying to get kde-workspace to build, I'm
currently working on updating the *.install files.

I don't know how I should set up the changelogs. dch -i just added
my change to the last UNRELASED tag. However the current text is
about minor changes related to the 4.8.4 version and then me bumping
the version up.

Probably a good one to look at for how I was editing the changelog:
http://woldlab.caltech.edu/~diane/kde4.10/workingdir/kde4libs/debian/

The two new at the moment packages are:
http://woldlab.caltech.edu/~diane/kde4.10/workingdir/nepomuk-core-4.9.95/
http://woldlab.caltech.edu/~diane/kde4.10/workingdir/nepomuk-widgets-4.9.95/

I also don't know what the version for kde-sc-dev-latest should be.

With some help for those issues I can start committing the debian
directories and putting them somewhere. (github is probably a
reasonable place).

Diane

(Note the above links will probably get deleted by feburary 2013.)
Hi Diane,
I was curious as to what you started as a base.
Essentially I would start with browsing the official repo here:
Bare repositories:
http://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-kde/
gitweb (browse tree(s)):
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb

So if you're working on the official repo's there should be some packaging
"conventions" present that you can refer to. There are also some patches
that may still be applicable.
I wouldn't bother with "r" in package naming. KDE's actual packages themselves don't
use that in package naming (4.10r1 == 4.9.95).

debian-kde-dev-guide.git appears to be an empty repo, so perhaps someone
else may be able to provide better insight.

I would probably checkout kubuntu's build repos - But I currently have no idea
where that is.

Only need to start one package at a time so if you have a compilable kde4libs tree
you could push that copy to github and so on.

All the best.
Jules.